It’s boy’s week over at PR & P! We have been really enjoying the super cuteness of the quilted girl jackets that have been floating around the blogsphere this fall/winter. And then I happened upon this pin on Stacey’s board.
I was sold. Now my little guy is really hard to coax into anything resembling a sweater/sweatshirt in this style so I knew I would need to adjust my plan. I used the Easy Linen Shirt pattern in Sewing for Boys as my base. I sewed it up in a 4/5. It’s big on him, but I knew that was going to be the case. There is room in the body for him to grow and for now I think the cuffed sleeves work! My goal is to use this for a jacket in the Spring and hopefully Fall.
We’re calling it his Super Dog Jacket because when I came home with fabric from my fabric warehouse visit he ran around with the leather scraps around his neck shouting SUPER DOG! He was rather fond of his cape (it was more of a scarf but I wasn’t going to argue). It made me smile.
The linen shirt pattern calls for a stand up neck. I removed that and added a knit neckline.
I wanted my leather shoulders to wrap around the neckline and stop on the top of the sleeve seam. I used tracing paper to make a template after I had sewn the top together. I’m not sold that it was the smartest method, but it worked!
Since my pattern and fabric are boxy, I only ribbed the neck, and I made my shoulders more square than my inspiration piece.
So are we done here? Can you tell how excited he was for pictures? He’s wearing a pair of cords that Donna sewed up. There’s a cargo pocket on either side for treasures. The pants that were meant for this post officially knock-out punched me. I picked up some fabric specifically for this purpose- and I’m really digging it. So after the 5th issue with the pants I decided to do the smart thing and walk slowly away from the sewing table while the project was still safely within salvageable range. I’ll come back to them. When my brain kicks back in.
No, really are we done yet? The whole thing pulls over his head, but there is top stitching down the center front. Full disclosure- I did not quilt this fabric. I know you are shocked. I did, however, get the deal of the century on it.
I chose to use my machine to stitch on my leather shoulders. I know some of you are cringing. I put in a new needle and went for it. Since the quilted material gave pretty little resistance and this leather is really not thick I didn’t have any issues.
I also plan on putting this through the washing machine. I’m going to flip it inside out and toss it in. A Google search tells me I’ve got a pretty good chance of that going ok. And if disaster does strike, pattern book not included, this jacket ran me about 6.00. Did I mention I got this material for a STEAL!
We are very excited for our new “Sew You Had a Boy”series to start in February. Hope over to our boy page to check out upcoming guest bloggers and projects. We would love to have you join our email list so you’re sure not to miss a boy post!