I know Fall is just around the corner, I really do. But I have been having a hard time gearing up to buy flannel and corduroy. So I found a compromise. Like testing the water with a toe,I’m easing into my Fall sewing.
This lightweight long sleeved peasant top is inspired by a top I saw on Pinterest a while back. It was a Zulily item, so the link had long since expired. But it was a nice light top with a pretty neck detail. The inspiration top had a set sleeve and separate bodice with a gathered body. Very cute? Yes. Very much more work than my look-a-like? Yep!
I started with this
I constructed a really easy little top with a raglan sleeve. The base of this top went together in about 30 minutes.
What is a Raglan Sleeve?
A raglan sleeve starts at the collar/neckline.
Constructing the Peasant Top
Check out THIS tutorial I’ve added on constructing a peasant dress.
When you have a top that looks like the picture below, hop back over to see how we finish it up.
I circled the JoAnn’s for longer than I would like to admit looking for just the right applique for the neck of this top, and I did not find it. After some brainstorming with Donna, she suggested I find the doilies and fabric dye.
Success! However, I was unaware doilies are expensive! I spent more than I wanted to on this addition. If I was going to do it again I would hit the thrift stores.
I’m a total newbie to fabric dyeing. Since I was just doing a small piece of fabric, and I did this while the kids were awake, I went with the very simplest method–the bucket method. I dissolved a small amount of dye in enough water to cover my piece. Then I swirled it around in cold water for about 15 minutes. Rinsed my newly dyed piece and presto a purple doily!
The big benefit for me is I really wasn’t shooting for a very specific color. I wanted a darker purple than my fabric so that the detailing would pop. Mission accomplished!
Make sure you have the gathering on your neck evenly dispersed and then place your doily where you would like it. I simply folded mine in half over the neckline. After I attached it, I went back and trimmed down the leftover doily. I’m a little concerned about unraveling, but I’m still brainstorming the best way to seal that edge. Suggestions in the comments section welcome!
I just pinned it lightly to keep it in place. Then i stitched around the perimeter of the piece.
Be really careful not to pull your fabric tight while doing this. You have the elastic underneath and you don’t want to create any weird bunching or pulling. I only stitched the edges, but you can tack down however much you would like.
I considered using heat and bond at this step also. I would love to hear feedback on how it went if you take that road!